Sunday, May 29, 2016

Chicken Tikka Masala

Today I'm going to tell you all how to make a desi dish which I never ate in Pakistan. Chicken Tikka Masala. Had it first time in Tulsa in an Indian restaurant and it was delicious.



So, I thought I should try to make it myself. When I read the recipe somewhere I thought it was too much work LOL but to be honest it is WORTH IT.

It's very different and unlike anything I've ever tasted before. Has a lot of rich ingredients. Not for weight watchers though.


Ingredients:

Chicken 1 1/2 pounds


Peanut oil 3 tbsp (optional)


1/2 teaspoon red chili powder


1 tbsp coriander powder


1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin


1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg


1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom


1/2 teaspoon paprika powder


1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper


1 1/2 teaspoons salt 


1/4 cup yogurt


1 1/2 cans of tomato puree


4 tablespoon butter


1/2 cup half and half or cream mixed with milk


1 big white onion finely chopped


1 teaspoon garlic paste


1 teaspoon ginger paste


3 lemon juice


half a bunch of chopped cilantro or coriander






We'll start with marinating the chicken. Add lime juice, yogurt, 1 tbsp oil and ginger in a in the chicken.

Coat the chicken well in the marinade mix and keep it aside.






Its time to prepare the sauce now.

Take a huge wok and melt the butter on medium high heat. Add the chopped onion. Stir after every 2 minutes.




Cook onions till golden brown and transparent. Now add the ground cardamom, ground cumin, paprika powder, salt, black pepper, ground nutmeg and red chili powder.



Now add the tomato puree, water and half and half cream. Bring it to a boil and lower the heat to simmer the sauce.





Let the sauce simmer on low heat covered and we prepare the chicken on the side. Heat a deep pan on medium heat. Add a tbsp of oil and the chicken. Let it cook for 5 minutes. Note - if you want to cook the chicken thoroughly, you can cover it for 5 minutes.





Th e chicken is all done. Time to put it in the sauce mix and cook it for 5 more minutes.



   
Put chopped cilantro or coriander. It's all done and ready to serve now.





It's tangy and spicy on the milder side but indeed a Desi dish from the roots of Punjab. Eat it with Roti, Naan, steamed white rice. I've seen people eating it with a fork and yogurt. Chicken Tikka Masala everyone.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Stir Fried Chicken Cashew Nuts

It is winter season and I am having my first experience with negative temperatures. So, I keep two things close to me, one of them is sea f...