Saturday, January 24, 2015

Fish & Chips w/ Mint Peas And Chunky Tartar Sauce

There was a time when people did not know me. Then I started cooking and everyone was like "Hey Shamsher! you're my best friend."

There was also a time when people did not use to love me and pay attention towards me. Then God gave me game and I started hustling. Learned cooking and then people started loving/praising me but now I don't feel like loving them back. To hell with everyone THIS people is my very own Fish & Chips sided with Tartar Sauce and Mint Peas.







This is made after watching a lot of videos and reading a lot of recipes and instructions. 


Today not only you will learn how to make Fish & Chips but also to make the most CRISPIEST Fish & Chips alongside something which I never knew existed called Mint Peas. Mint Peas is so simple like my life and is very easy to make.


Then last but not the least comes the Chunky Tartar Sauce which will be so delicious that you will leave the fish and eat it alone. ALONE


Let's start now...


First up I will suggest you to make Tartar Sauce and freeze it. So, it's nice and chilly when you eat it with the fish.


For Tartar Sauce you need:


Mayonnaise 1 pouch or depends on  your quantity. I had to made more because me and my family being Kashmiris eat like animals.


Capers around 4-6 tablespoon


4 Gherkins


(Both gherkins and capers are easily found at AlFatah and Green Valley in pickle form and the pickle form is required.)


2 Hard boiled eggs


4 Shallots diced


Dill leaves a bunch


2 Lemon Juice






Hand chop the dill leaves and add the gherkins, capers and hard boiled eggs to a chopper. Finely chop them.



Take the mayo out in a bowl. Add the dill leaves and the chopped gherkins, capers and hard boiled eggs along side the lemon juice and your CHUNKY Tartar Sauce is as ready as a groom to say 'kabool hai' on his wedding.




Now it's time to make them crispy chips.

For chips you obviously need chips and the quantity depends on you.

A suggestion is that you cut your chips nice and thick and put them under water for at least 30-60 minutes before making anything as it will remove some starch from the potatoes.



Drain these potatoes.

Warm up some water till it simmers and add these chips in to the simmering water for 90 seconds to 2 minutes NOT ANYMORE THAN THAT. Drain.





 The oil type we will use to fry stuff is SUNFLOWER OIL.




Don't mind this packet, mom did not let me use her oil stock. This is how cruel is my family to me. Now, I sound like a stupid rich brat but I ain't even rich bruh.

Warm up the oil on medium heat and enter all the potatoes for the initial fry. YES WE ARE FRYING CHIPS TWO TIMES.



Now heat the oil on FULL HEAT and fry them chips again till they are light brownish on outside which is the sign that they are DONE.




Chips are done.

Now moving to the next phase which is the fish.

You need:

Fish fillets

I literally cooked more than 2 kilograms.


Place the fish on a paper toweled plate and season it with some salt and black pepper. The salt will extract all the moisture out of the fish and it will make the batter stick to it firmly and also the batter will stay crispier this way.

For the fish batter you need:

1/4 cup of milk

1 tablespoon of honey

300 ml club soda

corn flour or rice flour preferably

salt & pepper as per taste aka HASB E ZIAQA




Put the flour in a bowl add salt & pepper. Then add 300 ml of club soda(make sure its cold), milk and honey. Whisk it and make it into a thick paste form.



Grab the fillet from one corner. Dip the fish fillet in this batter, shake of the extra batter on the fish gently and FRY till the outer crust of the fish is brown. Drain.





The fish is done, nice and crispy.


Now comes the final part of this recipe. Mint Peas. Funny name lol

You need:

2 tablespoons of butter

250 gms of boiled peas

finely chopped mint leaves






This is easy as cake and I do not know how to make cake. Anyway

Melt butter in a pan



DARN LOADSHEDDING BUT I WILL NOT STOP. - mobile flashlight -

Add peas and let them mix up with the butter. Then add mint leaves and squish the peas gently with a wooden utensil.





Out everything you've made above nicely on a plate. Sit back and enjoy your Fish & Chips w/  Mint Peas and Chunky Tartar Sauce.


 


DRAIN!












7 comments:

  1. Hello!

    It's me again - just leaving a comment to tell you I tried this last night and it took me back to my days in London. The tartar sauce was amazing (along with everything else). Thank you for the super easy recipe. I will be spamming your blog with comments again as I try more recipes!

    Cheers

    A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Annie for putting all this faith in my recipes. I wish I could someday maybe thank you in person and make something for you. You're the best.

      Delete
  2. Sounds very tempting, love the way you write!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best fish and chips recipe that ive done! Took me back to my college days in london woohoooo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quick question , There is no need to season/marinate the fish ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, make sure the fish is dry before you start coating it with seasoned flour

      Delete

Featured Post

Stir Fried Chicken Cashew Nuts

It is winter season and I am having my first experience with negative temperatures. So, I keep two things close to me, one of them is sea f...